The weekend is a GREAT time to follow these hints to make sure that when the next Tropical Storm Debbie or Meltdown/Heatwave hits, you can still communicate with your friends, family and co-workers!
One of my favorite emergency blogs entitled idisaster2.0 recently asked the question, “are you cell phone ready for an emergency?” What a great question! They gave a list of great suggestions that they pulled from the Fairfax Virginia county EOC after the recent derecho storm that blasted the Mid-Atlantic states. I have taken the liberty of adding on to their list.
- Use all alternatives to voice calls.
- Tell your friends & family you are OK via text, email, Twitter, Facebook and other social media.
- Learn how to send updates via text and internet from your mobile phone to your contacts and social channels in case voice communications are not available.
- Avoid calling by phone.
- If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1. Remember that you cannot currently text 9-1-1.
- If you are not experiencing an emergency, do not call 9-1-1.
- Save all important phone numbers to your phone. Be sure to include local emergency numbers such…
View original post 301 more words